With the high level of variability that is ever present within Emergency Rooms, it is important to make every effort to reduce wait times, improve patient experience, increase efficiency and utilize time wisely. Simcad Pro is a sophisticated simulation engine that can be utilized to improve the overall efficiency of the Emergency Room. The use of Simcad Pro has been shown to improved Emergency Room efficiency, accuracy and effectiveness, which in turn improves patient outcomes and the quality of care that is received. In addition, staff allocation and efficiency can be better forecasted and analyzed, reducing the overall cost of care without sacrificing the quality of care.
Using Simcad Pro patented dynamic simulation engine, managers, supervisors, and other process improvement experts can perform analysis, detect delays and bottlenecks, and provide real solutions with ease. Simcad Pro process simulator brings the simulation technology to everyone involved and facilitates the main concepts of lean thinking in the Emergency Room as well as the overall hospital. Through the different features of Simcad Pro, users can perform "what-if" scenarios, virtually modify the operation (increase the number of rooms, change the staffing levels, modify patient types, etc...) and visually view the effect of the change on the overall ED. Any changes on the simulation can be made "on-the-fly" as the simulation is running, therefore reducing the time required to do analysis and come up with an optimum environment.
Due of the high variability of patients, arrival times, seasonality and other factors, it is important to have the capability to utilize live data (EMR systems, RFID, etc...), and historical data to supplement the mathematical distributions learned from the operation. With Simcad Pro, users have the ability to retrieve live or historical data, import a CAD layout of the Emergency Room and perform analysis while automatically computing the travel distances for the staff and patients alike.
With the simulation model built and connected, parameters such as timing, resources, capacities, etc... can be imported from an external data source or input manually. Once the model is running, users can visually see where backups are occurring and where changes need to be made to increase efficiency. Changes in the number of doctors, nurses, registration stations, triage rooms, etc... can be made as the simulation is running so results of the change can be seen immediately. The "Simulation Analysis Report" provides a quick analysis on the model to identify poorly performing areas for resources and processes.
Advantages and Capabilities of Simcad Pro Simulator:
- Ability to import historical data about arrival times, patient types, procedure times, etc... to provide a mathematically accurate representation
- Automatic distance calculation based on CAD layout
- Change the number of rooms in the Emergency Department, as well as layout, to show improvements or changes
- 2D and 3D representation of where there are deficiencies
- "On-the-fly" changes can be made to the number of doctors, nurses, staff, rooms, etc... to show how changes will affect the overall model
- Ability to schedule resources to find the optimal number of doctors, nurses, receptionists, etc... based on the variability of the Emergency Department
- "Simulation Analysis Report" shows poorly performing areas and why they are not performing as they should
- In 3D environment, you can watch the model from the point of view of a resource or a patient using the "dynamic walk-through" feature